Showing posts with label world. Show all posts
Showing posts with label world. Show all posts

Saturday, April 23, 2011

YEMEN: The ruling party accepts the plan to end the crisis in the Gulf monarchies

AFP - The ruling party in Yemen has accepted the plan to end the crisis presented by the Gulf monarchies to provide a starting within weeks of President Ali Abdallah Saleh, to whom the United States immediately asked to begin "immediately" political transition.

"The General People's Congress (GPC, in power) and its allies have accepted the initiative of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) in its entirety," he told AFP Sultan al-Barakani, Deputy General Secretary of the GPC and Head of the parliamentary bloc of the party.

To overcome the crisis, the GCC has proposed forming a national unity government, then a transfer of powers by the Head of State in Vice-President and stop the demonstrations.

The President should then submit his resignation within 30 days, and a presidential election would take place 60 days later.

On Friday, Mr. Saleh, whose term runs until 2013, had said he welcomed the plan but reiterated that it would sell the power in an orderly and constitutional.

The United States, which have been implicated along with European countries in the negotiations for a settlement of the crisis, have pressed Mr.Saleh, their ally in the fight against terrorism, to begin "immediately" the political transition.

"President Saleh has publicly expressed its willingness to engage in peaceful political transition," assured Mark Toner, a spokesman for the U.S. State Department, adding that "the timing and form of this transition must be determined so concerted and start immediately. "

"All parties need to really participate, including young people, in a transparent process that addresses the legitimate concerns of the Yemeni people, their political and economic aspirations and their calls to bring to justice those who quickly suppress the demonstrations by the violence," Mark Toner yet assured.

The parliamentary opposition, the Common Front, agreed on Saturday plan to end the crisis in the Gulf Arab countries, apart from one point to provide for the formation of a unity government with the participation of Mr. Saleh .

"The initiative is positive and we accept it, except the formation of a unity government because we refuse to serve under the authority of Ali Abdullah Saleh and take oath before him", told AFP spokesman of the opposition, Mohammad Qahtani, before the announcement of the plan is accepted by the CPG.

He had urged Saleh to agree to cede power in a "30 days" as required in terms of the GCC monarchies, saying the opposition was ready to form a national unity cabinet with Vice- which Mr. PresidentSaleh has transferred its powers.

So far, the opposition demanded the immediate departure of Mr. Saleh, like committees of protesters surround the protesters. The latter, however, clearly reject the plan of the Gulf monarchies.

Strongly contested in the streets since January, Mr. Saleh faces a broad popular protest movement that organizes demonstrations almost daily to demand his immediate departure. The repression of this movement has done more than 130 deaths.

Saturday, calling for a general strike was well attended especially in the south.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

COTE D'IVOIRE: Alassane Ouattara allied forces take control of Yamoussoukro

AFP - Ivorian President forces acknowledged by the international community Wednesday Alassane Ouattara have accentuated their pressure on the regime of outgoing President Laurent Gbagbo in taking the political capital Yamoussoukro, as tensions rose in Abidjan.

On the third day of the offensive, this highly symbolic victory comes four months after the beginning of a post-election crisis which has, according to UN figures, at least 460 people and displaced nearly a million people.

It is a major setback for incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo, whose regime is isolated diplomatically and economically strangled, and whose forces seem to fall back on the economic capital Abidjan, the heart of a power that has never been so threatened.

"Mr.Gbagbo has a few more hours to go, otherwise it will march on Abidjan. And it will be much more complicated for him, "warned France 24 Guillaume Soro, Prime Minister Ouattara.

In the metropolis of Abidjan, many residents have returned home hurriedly in the afternoon, reporters found the AFP. Shots were heard in several northern districts. The Plateau, where the presidential palace, the traffic was very limited.

Mr. Republican ForcesOuattara, composed mainly ex-rebels holding the north since 2002, continued their advance Wednesday and taking Soubré Yamoussoukro, 130 km north of San Pedro (south-west), the largest export port in the world cocoa .

They had already won important victories on Tuesday in entering Duekoue, Daloa (center-west) and Bondoukou (east), but also Abengourou (southeast), just 220 km from the economic capital Abidjan.

The Ambassador of Cote d'Ivoire in France named by Alassane Ouattara, Ally Coulibaly, assured that his forces controlled camp "three quarters" of the country.

Yamoussoukro, the birthplace of the "Father of the Nation" Felix Houphouet-Boigny (1960-93) became the political capital of the world's leading exporter of cocoa, has fallen into the hands of fighters pro-Ouattara, virtually without a fight, only a few shots with Kalashnikov were heard, residents said.

"Yamoussoukro is under control of Republican Forces, the jubilant crowd cheering, they parade in town," said a resident of the capital.

On board the pick-ups with machine guns or motorcycles, they roam the city by launching shouting, witnesses said.

According to several testimonies, the pro-Ouattara continued their way south, leaving a small detachment in the political capital.

A resident of Toumodi (50 km south of Yamoussoukro) ensured to have heard gunfire in the afternoon in this village, located about 200 km from Abidjan.

On the eastern front, the forces are advancing rapidly pro-Ouattara, without meeting strong resistance, approaching a little closer to Abidjan, where new recruits began Wednesday to enlist in the army of the president.

On the western front, they are now the cocoa port of San Pedro.

More than 400,000 tons of cocoa are blocked from calling the camp Ouattara to stop exports. This measure has been further strengthened by Western sanctions.Ouattara government warned Wednesday, "an exporter" of cocoa "collaborate" with the president.

Gbagbo's camp had called Tuesday night to a "cease-fire immediately," declaring himself ready for negotiations with the rival camp under the auspices of the African Union in Addis Ababa in early April.

But Anne Ouloto, spokesman for Mr. Ouattara, responded by asking supporters of Mr Gbagbo to "disarm," saying that the call for a cease-fire was a "diversion".

Pope Benedict XVI on his side announced its decision to send an envoy to Côte d'Ivoire to promote "reconciliation and peace" and called for "a process of constructive dialogue."

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

BAHRAIN: The Shiite opposition suspends participation in parliament

AFP - Two protesters were killed Shiites in Bahrain in quelling anti-government protests, which continued Tuesday in this small Gulf kingdom ruled by a Sunni dynasty.

The protests erupted Monday in the Shiite villages on the initiative of surfers who have called on Facebook to protest to demand political and social reforms in the wake of riots in Tunisia and Egypt.

Bahrain, Shiite-majority country, made short shrift next to the other oil monarchies of the region, its oil reserves had virtually dried up.

Customers have called on Facebook to continue the demonstrations on Tuesday, including a high turnout at the funeral of the victims.

The Shiite bloc in parliament, al-Wefaq which has 18 seats elected on 40, said it had suspended its participation in the meeting because of the repression "wild" demonstrators calling including that the government solve the unemployment problem and increases wages.

A young protester, Ali Mcheimeh, succumbed to his injuries on Monday night received during the dispersal of a demonstration in the Shiite village of Diya, east of Manama, said the interior ministry by announcing an inquiry whether the police had "had an unwarranted use of weapons."

The police used tear gas to disperse hundreds of protesters in several Shiite villages, which Darraz, west of Manama, Sitra (east), Balad Al-Qadim and Jed Hafs (center), witnesses said.

A second Shiite protester was killed by a "bullet fragmentation" when dispersing a rally Tuesday at a hospital in Manama prior to the funeral of Mcheimeh, according to an Opposition MP Shiite Ibrahim al-Khalil Marzooq, which was also reported injured.

"Fadel Salman Matrouk was killed by bullets in front of the hospital Suleimania fragmentation in Manama where people had gathered for the funeral of the first martyr," he told AFP.

The Interior Ministry said in a statement on the Twitter site a "clash pitted some people attending a funeral at a patrol of security forces", which caused the death of Matrouk. An investigation is underway to determine the circumstances of his death.

Mr.Marzooq further explained that the movement al-Wefaq had suspended its participation in parliament "because of the reaction to the wild events that left two dead."

Besides the House, which has limited powers, Parliament has a consultative council whose 40 members are appointed by the king and can block any initiative from the elected assembly.

Between 1994 and 1999, Bahrain was the scene of violence led by Shiites who had been forty deaths. The Shiites feel discriminated against in employment, social services like housing and public services provided to their villages.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

AFGHANISTAN: Insurgents stormed the police headquarters in Kandahar

AFP - Three people were killed Saturday, including two policemen, and 26 others wounded in an attack claimed by the Taliban from the police headquarters in Kandahar, the largest city in southern Afghanistan, said the spokesman provincial governor.

Nine children were among the wounded, "said Zalman Ayubi.

The police headquarters of the provincial capital is under attack since mid-day by insurgents holed up in a large six-storey building, located 50 m across, where they shoot with automatic weapons, rocket launchers and machine guns, said a correspondent for AFP.

Taliban insurgents have claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that six of their militants had taken control of the hotel.

The police, who replies with automatic weapons and rocket launchers, stormed the building early in the afternoon.

The correspondent of AFP, two explosions, one in the lobby, another powerful front of the building were heading directly when police began investing the hotel.

A police chief, who requested anonymity, told AFP that six explosions had been recorded since the fighting started, "five of them around the police headquarters, and about one km zone "near a shopping center, he added.

The AFP correspondent has heard from a seventh blast near police headquarters.

The fighting is still ongoing, have gained in intensity, found the AFP correspondent who saw the police take position on the roof of the hotel.

Of automatic weapons fire echoed also in several districts of Kandahar, deserted by its inhabitants, ordered by police not to leave their homes, according to this correspondent.

The streets are blocked by Afghan police and U.S. soldiers, while U.S. helicopter gunships turn in the sky.

Since they were toppled by an international coalition led by the United States in late 2001, the Taliban waging a deadly insurgency in Afghanistan against the Kabul government and the international force of 140,000 strong men, who supports it.

Violence has intensified in recent months in Kandahar province, recently hit by several deadly suicide bombings claimed by the Taliban, while NATO troops are conducting several months of offensives aimed at driving the rebels from their strongholds.